The Eco-Schools is an initiative implemented in preschools, primary schools, and middle schools to provide environmental awareness, environmental management, and sustainable development education. Through a participatory approach, students in schools not only gain knowledge about environmental issues but also play an active role in raising awareness among their families, local authorities, and non-governmental organizations (NGOs) on environmental issues.
To assist in the implementation of sustainable development at the local level, students are guided to take an active role in reducing the environmental impact of the school through the 7 steps implemented. Thus, eco-schools go beyond classroom teaching and contribute to fostering environmental sensitivity in other segments of society.
The most important and integrative factor in the Eco-Schools program is student participation. The efforts of the committee to raise awareness among the local community and leaders help students develop the skills to engage in dialogue and provide a solid foundation for good citizenship education.
BOTH A PROGRAM AND AN AWARD PLAN
The Eco-Schools Program not only provides schools with a guiding program for environmental education but also serves as an award plan. The program awards the Green Flag to schools that have achieved outstanding success in their activities and environmental education within the program.
The Green Flag is an internationally recognized and respected eco-label symbolizing an environmentally conscious school. The validity period of the award is two years, necessitating its renewal every two years as Eco-Schools is a long-term program. Additional information regarding the Green Flag award application is also provided.
BENEFITS OF THE PROGRAM
The implementation of the program imparts habits that students will use throughout their lives and affect their achievements, not only in terms of environmental issues but also in other aspects.
- Becoming group members and developing a sense of a new identity
- Getting accustomed to group work and creating a participatory structure
- Developing problem recognition, problem-solving, and discussion skills
- Improving initiative and decision-making abilities
- Developing planning and report-writing skills
- Preventing wastefullness and changing negative habits of consumption
- Rasing awareness in terms of conserving natural resources
In addition to these, the program's benefits for the SCHOOL include:
- Maintaining cleanliness and order consistently.
- Achieving water and electricity savings through student initiatives.
- Students take ownership of the school.
- The school becomes central to the region it is located in.
- Gains recognition at the local, national, and even international levels.
- Can interact nationally and internationally through our communication network if desired.